I shared this in the Blog Oklahoma Newsletter today. I thought I'd share it here too.
- A proposed ban on gender-affirming care for minors would affect Oklahoma adults too | KGOU
- In Their Own Words: Oklahomans On Gender Identity Proposal in Schools | Oklahoma Watch
- Oklahoma’s education board targets library content, sex education with Walters’ new rules | KGOU
- Department of Education seeks to revoke teaching license of former Norman teacher no longer working in Oklahoma | KFOR
- Board approves controversial new accreditation standards, Walters airs grievances | Nondoc
As you read in the news I shared above, Oklahoma’s governing bodies are determined to make life miserable for the LGBTQ+ community. There is legislation to remove gender-affirming medical care for children; deny insurance coverage to adults for gender-affirming medical care; remove sexual, gender, and racial education; ban books that even hint at LGBTQ+ or racial issues; prevent teachers from mentioning LGBTQ+, gender, or racial issues; and force schools to out LGBTQ+ children. I wish this were all hyperbole, but it’s not.
Unfortunately, this isn’t happening just here in Oklahoma. It’s happening in all the GOP-controlled states. Please be aware of what your State is doing. If you can, contact your elected representatives and let them know what you think of all this.
If you want updates on all this anti-transgender legislation nationwide, I can recommend the newsletter Erin In The Morning on Substack.
(Image source NBC News)